Jackson Institute course offerings are always viewable under “Global Affairs” at Yale’s Online Course Information site.
Jackson Institute courses are taught by faculty throughout Yale’s academic departments, our Senior Fellows, and some visiting faculty. The most up-to-date list of our courses can be found at Yale’s Online Course Information site. All graduate and undergraduate courses at the Jackson Institute are listed as Global Affairs (GLBL).
Most Jackson Institute courses are open to all Yale students. Due to high demand, some of our seminars require prior application. Course applications for these courses are posted on our website when available.
Class of 2021 Course Requirements
13 Courses and Language Proficiency
- Introduction to Microeconomics (ECON 108, 110, or 115)
- Introduction to Macroeconomics (ECON 111 or 116)
- Intermediate Microeconomics (ECON 121 or 125)
- Approaches to International Development (GLBL 225)
- Approaches to International Security (GLBL 275)
Quantitative Analysis Courses
- Applied Quantitative Analysis (GLBL 121)*
- Applied Quantitative Analysis II (GLBL 122)
- Additional Research Methods Course approved by DUS
Four Elective courses or seminars
- Elective 1
- Elective 2
- Elective 3
- Elective 4
- One-semester Task Force (GLBL 499)
Demonstrated L5 proficiency in one language other than English
Advice to Applicants
Current underclassmen should review the requirements of the major and the FAQs. It is strongly recommended that, at the time of application, applicants have made progress towards the required economics sequence and to have taken (or currently be enrolled in) *GLBL 121 or acceptable substitute.
Acceptable substitutes for Applied Quantitative Analysis (GLBL 121)
- Methods in Quantitative Sociology (SOCY 162)
- Introduction to Data Analysis and Econometrics (ECON 117, formerly ECON 131)
- Applied Data Analysis and Econometrics (ECON 132)
- Introduction to Probability and Statistics (ECON 135)
- Any course from the Introduction to Statistics Series (S&DS 101-106)
A visual map of the requirements for Global Affairs majors can be found here: (Class of 2019, 2020 and 2021 onward)
Approved course matrix for the Spring semester can be found here. The matrix is a list of approved electives for the major. Last updated 1/15/2019.