Frequently Asked Questions

Admission Decisions
How will I receive an official decision notification about my application for admission?
You will receive a notification email when a decision is ready for you, typically in mid-March. The email will instruct you to check your Application Status Portal for an update about your application. Decisions are only available in the Application Status Portal, and Admissions staff cannot release any decisions over the phone or by email. We do not mail hard copies of admissions decisions through the mail, but you may download and print a copy of your decision letter from your Application Status Portal.
I was offered admission. How do I respond to the offer?
Please fill out the “Reply to Offer of Admission” form in your Application Status Portal.
I was not offered admission and want to re-apply next year. Does the Admissions Office retain my application and supplemental materials?
We may retain your application year to year, but you will nevertheless need to submit a new application each time, including all required materials and the application fee.
I was not offered admission and want to speak to someone about this. Whom do I contact?
Unfortunately, we are not able to provide individual feedback on admissions decisions or give an accurate assessment of a candidate's future competitiveness.
Can I defer an offer of admission to a later date?
Jackson will consider deferral requests only in cases of extreme hardship or illness, military deployment, or inability to travel to the U.S. due to visa restrictions or complications. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis and should be addressed to Assistant Dean Asha Rangappa.
When are admission decisions announced?
Jackson announces M.A.S. decisions usually the second or third week of March.
Application Questions
I need technical support with the application.
If you are experiencing a technical issue with the application, we suggest trying a different browser, such as Google Chrome or Firefox. Our application software is least compatible with Safari. If you continue to experience issues, please email and we will do our best to help you troubleshoot.
I have created a duplicate application/account. How can I delete it?
A duplicate application occurs when you have previously created an application account and then mistakenly create another using modified credentials. Duplicate applications are not permitted and we will systematically consolidate duplicate accounts.
Can I withdraw my application?
Yes. You may withdraw your application prior to receiving an admissions decision, however, please note that application fees are non-refundable. To withdraw your application, please email us at You must email us from the email account you applied with.
How do I convert my GPA?
You may self-report a GPA and GPA scale in the “Academic History” section of the application. Please do not convert or recalculate your GPA, and if your college or university does not report or compute a GPA, you should omit it.
I need to revise my statement of purpose, resume or supplemental materials but have already submitted my application. What should I do?
You may upload an updated resume or supplemental materials via your Status Portal. Please note that if you are uploading materials after the deadline, there is no guarantee these materials will be seen by the Admissions Committee. Uploading items via your status portal does not overwrite existing application materials so it would be helpful if you note "revised" within the document.
How do I check the status of my application to see if my letters of recommendation and/or standardized test scores have been received by your office?
Before You Submit Your Application: You will see the status of these materials within the “Test Scores” or “Recommendations” tab of your application. You do not need to delay submitting your application because of pending letters of recommendation or pending official test scores. It is acceptable for letters of recommendation and official test scores to arrive after you submit your application, and up to a few days after the application deadline. After You Submit Your Application: Upon submitting your application and after paying your application fee, you will use your Application Status Portal to check for the receipt of official test scores or letters of recommendation.
Can I submit supplemental materials before I submit my application?
All materials in support of your application must be uploaded to your application prior to submitting your application. Do not mail any materials to the Admissions Office, as any such materials will be discarded.
I am having difficulty uploading supplemental materials. What should I do?
Documents uploaded to your application may not exceed 16MB max. Reduce the size of your document and try uploading it again.
I am an international applicant. Are there different application requirements for me?
International applicants have the same general requirements as all other applicants. TOEFL, IELTS, or Cambridge English scores are required of almost all applicants whose native language is not English. You can see those requirements on our Standardized Testing Requirements page.
Many of my application materials are not in English. What should I do?
All academic records and letters of recommendation uploaded to your application must be in English or accompanied by a translation to English.
How do I apply for a visa?
The Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) serves as the immigration adviser for all entering international students and their accompanying family members. Beginning in March, OISS will contact you with the necessary visa and immigration information, if you have been admitted and accepted Yale's offer of admission.
Do I need to have a bachelor’s degree to enroll at Jackson?
All entering students must have earned a bachelor's degree or its international equivalent prior to enrolling at Jackson. You may submit an application before receiving your degree, or while your degree is still in progress, so long as the degree will be completed prior to matriculation. Some countries grant an undergraduate or bachelor's-equivalent degree in three years. In such cases, completion of a three-year degree will meet the application requirement.
Can I apply to more than one program at Jackson?
No. You can apply to only one degree program per academic year.
Can I enroll in the spring semester?
No spring term entry is permitted. Application for admission begins in the summer or fall of the academic year prior to the one in which you propose to matriculate. Please submit your application by the deadline.
I am reapplying. What do I need to do?
You should submit a new application, including all required materials, new letters of recommendation, and payment for the application fee. For M.P.P. applicants, the application fee will be waived if you apply by December 1. If you previously sent official test scores to the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, you will need to request them to be sent to Jackson. See our Standardized Testing Requirements for details.
I am unable to access or load the application website. What can I do?
If you have tried a different browser already, you might then try using VPN, a different network, a different computer, or a smart phone to access the website. In some isolated cases, local networks appear to be blocking access to the application website, but using a different network or phone should resolve the issue.
Where can I find further information on how to prepare and submit my application?
You can find the list of required application materials here. When preparing the application, all applicants should also review our Frequently Asked Questions. You must submit your application via Jackson's application portal. Do not email or mail any application materials.
Are there core courses for the M.A.S. program?
There are no required courses for the M.A.S. Students work closely with the Assistant Dean for Graduate Education at Jackson to determine what courses best suit their interests, and will form an individualized concentration.
Is distance or Internet-learning an option?
No, Jackson does not offer any part of its program online. The M.A.S. is a one-year, full-time residential program.
What is the possibility of receiving a scholarship?
M.A.S. candidates are not eligible for Jackson Fellowships. The Graduate School Financial Aid Office administers student loan programs for both U.S. citizens and international students.
Letters of Recommendation
One of my recommenders wishes to submit the recommendation for me in paper form only. Is that OK?
Unfortunately, no. We will only accept letters submitted online. If your recommender is only willing to provide a paper letter, you may want to consider a different recommender as paper letters will not be considered.
Can I add a recommender after I submit my application?
From your Application Status Portal, you will be able to remind, add, or exclude a recommender. This feature is no longer available once the minimum required number of recommendations (3) has been received.
Can I delete a recommender?
Yes, you may “Exclude” a recommender from within your application or on your Application Status Portal, as long as they have not started or submitted their recommendation.
I started an application last year and requested letters of recommendation that were submitted. I did not, however, submit my application. Can those letters be attached to the new application I will be preparing for this coming year?
Unfortunately, no. You will have to identify your recommenders again in your current year application. Your recommenders will have to submit recommendations again.
Will Yale Jackson accept letters of recommendation from a dossier service such as Interfolio?
Yes. We will accept letters of recommendation from Interfolio or other dossier services that have the ability to upload a letter directly to our online recommendation system on behalf of a recommender. In such cases, please enter the dossier service-specific email address provided by the recommender when adding a recommender for your application.
I have been out of school for some time. May my recommenders be those who can attest to my professional work?
Yes, however, we suggest that at least one recommendation should address your academic abilities and skills, such as analytical thinking, etc. An academic reference is more important if there are weaknesses in an applicant's academic record.
One of my recommenders did not receive an email or is having trouble accessing the online recommendation system. What should they do?
Once you enter your recommender’s information (including email address) and select “Send to Recommender,” an email is automatically generated and sent to them. If your recommender does not receive the email, it is possible that their email provider is blocking the email. Make sure they check their junk/spam folders. You may try resending the email or excluding the recommender and adding them again with a different email address.
Can recommendations arrive after the deadline?
Yes, but the admissions committee begins reviewing applications immediately following the program deadline. Recommendations should be submitted within a week of the deadline to ensure full consideration.
How does the recommendation process work?
When you fill out an application, you will be asked to enter contact information for your recommenders. Your recommenders will then receive a notification email with instructions for uploading their letter. Letters of recommendation will be automatically attached to your application as soon as they are submitted. You may view the status of letters of recommendation within your application or from your Application Status Portal.
How many recommendation letters are required?
Three. A combination of academic and professional recommendations is preferred.
Testing Requirements
Even though it is optional, I have decided to submit my GRE scores. Will I be asked to submit official test results?
Yes. If you choose to self-report your GRE scores in the application, you will be required to also submit official test results for verification purposes. Please be sure to submit your official scores before they expire, since you will not be able to submit them after expiration.
Will you accept the TOEFL Essentials, TOEFL ITP Plus for China, or the IELTS Indicator?
No. If you are required to take English language test, please take either the TOEFL iBT, the IELTS Academic, or the Cambridge English C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency.
My scores will expire before I am ready to submit my application. What should I do?
Please submit your official scores to us as soon as possible, perhaps even before starting or submitting your application. When we receive your scores, we will store them in our database and they will match with your application when you apply. Once your scores expire you will not be able submit official scores and you may have to re-take the examination. If, at the time of application, your GRE scores will be more than 5 years old you will need to retake the GRE. Submitting invalid scores may reduce your chances of admission. If, at the time of application, your TOEFL scores will be more than 2 years old you will need to retake the TOEFL. Submitting invalid scores may reduce your chances of admission.
If I took a required examination, but my test score has expired, what should I do?
If your scores can no longer be released to us by the test score service, you may still self-report your old scores in your application. However, your application will be considered incomplete without official scores. Incomplete applications are eventually reviewed, but we prioritize reviewing complete applications first.
I am not able to take a required test before the application deadline. What should I do?
Enter a future test date in the “Test Scores” section of the application. This will allow you to submit your application. Self-reported scores are also required in order to submit your application. You can enter zeros as placeholders. We will add your official test scores to your application for review as soon as we receive them. Keep in mind your application will be considered incomplete without official scores. Incomplete applications are eventually reviewed, but we prioritize reviewing complete applications first.
My official test scores are missing from my application checklist. What is wrong?
First, confirm that you have asked the test agency to send your official scores to the Yale University Jackson School of Global Affairs, as follows: GRE: Institution Code 3388 TOEFL: Institution Code D100 IELTS: Submitted electronically to Yale University Jackson School of Global Affairs Cambridge English: Submitted electronically to Jackson School of Global Affairs If you sent your scores more than 7-10 business days prior, please double check that your scores were not sent to a different code or a different professional school at Yale. We are unable to transfer scores across schools at Yale, so you must use the correct code. If you have confirmed that your scores were sent to the correct code at least 7-10 days business days prior, but your scores still have not been marked as “received” in your application status portal, please email us with the following information: The name and email address you used to register for the test. The name and email address used on your application. A screenshot or other documentation from the test score service that your scores were sent to Yale University Jackson School of Global Affairs.
May I submit my application before I have taken the required tests?
Yes, but when you fill out an application for admission, you must self-report your required test results in the Test Score section of the application. Scores must still be officially sent to the Jackson Admissions office. You may also input any future test dates as well. If you have not taken a required test yet, inputting a future test date will allow you to submit the application. Official scores may be sent to Admissions after the deadline but should be sent as soon as possible in order to ensure that your application can be reviewed by the Admissions Committee.
Does Jackson require the GRE for the M.A.S. program?
No. The GRE test is optional for the M.A.S. mid-career program.
What does unofficial transcript mean?
We define an unofficial transcript as any academic record you are in possession of, such as: A transcript issued to you. A record of your academic performance obtained from your institutions SIS portal. Please Note: All academic records uploaded to your online application are treated as unofficial.
What does final official transcript mean?
We define a final official transcript as a transcript received, by us, directly from the issuing institution that is properly signed/authenticated (whether on paper and still in the envelope or a certified electronic copy). If this transcript is in support of your baccalaureate degree granting institution, it must indicate the award of the baccalaureate degree (or its foreign equivalent). If this transcript is in support of an advanced degree program that you have completed at the same or another institution, it must indicate the award of that degree. If this transcript is in support of work taken in a non-degree program, it must contain all coursework taken. A final official transcript is only required if you have been offered admission and have accepted that offer. Specific instructions will be sent to incoming students in May. Please Note: Your final official transcript will be reviewed and compared to any transcript or academic record uploaded in support of your application and may also undergo independent verification.
My institution sends transcripts electronically. Are you able to accept them?
During the application process you must upload your academic record/transcript to your application yourself, which may take the form of an electronic transcript; however, please ensure no additional authentication is required to view the transcript, as this will cause problems with your upload. Following admission and acceptance of an offer of admission, you may request that your institution send your official electronic transcript to (Please Note: Transcripts sent to this address from applicants who have not accepted an offer of admission will be discarded.)
My institution does not issue a traditional transcript or a record of my academic performance reflecting courses, credits, and grades. What should I do?
You should upload the academic performance document that your institution typically issues.
May I upload a diploma or certificate of achievement or other non-academic record document?
Yes, if you feel they positively support your application, you may upload these as an Additional Document when you apply. Do not upload diplomas or certificates in the Academic History section in lieu of a transcript or academic record.
Do I need to upload a transcript from my student abroad program?
A separate transcript from the study abroad institution is not required if the information also appears on your home institution’s transcript. You may upload a copy of your home institution transcript to reflect your study abroad coursework. If your home institution transcript does not reflect your study abroad coursework, then you should upload a separate transcript from the study abroad institution.
My transcript has been evaluated by a credential evaluation service. Can that evaluation be uploaded in lieu of my transcript?
Yes. The evaluation must contain course and grade information, however. Please note, that if you are offered admission and accept that offer, an original transcript will be required directly from the issuing institution.
The academic record I have from my school SIS Portal does not contain the name of my school nor does it have a transcript legend. Is that a problem?
No. While it is strongly preferred that any academic record you upload to your application contain the institution name and a ‘legend,’ we understand that this is not always possible for academic records from institutional portals. If you have or can obtain an unofficial copy of your transcript, you can upload that instead.
Should I send in, or have sent in, an official transcript in support of my application?
No, a traditional paper or electronic transcript is neither required nor necessary for the review of your application. Instead, please upload an unofficial transcript or other copy of your academic record, as described above. We do not accept transcripts sent via post or email during the initial application review process. All documentation must be uploaded directly to your application.
I am not able to upload a copy of my transcript. May I send it to you via e-mail or upload a self-prepared transcript?
No. Please upload a copy of your academic record/scanned copy of your transcript, which is required in order to submit your application. We are unable to accommodate and will not accept/process transcripts sent to us via mail or email whether from an applicant or from an institution. Do not self-prepare your own transcript as it will be disregarded.
My uploaded transcript already indicates the award of the baccalaureate or advanced degree. If I am admitted do I have to send another final transcript?
Yes. If you are offered admission, and you accept that offer, you must have the institution send us a copy of your final official transcript. Incoming students will receive more specific instructions starting in May.
Do I have to upload both the non-English and English translated transcript?
Yes. If your original transcript is in a language other then English, please upload both the original and the translation.
Do I need to provide international transcript credential evaluations for my application?
International credential evaluations are not required for admission, but applicants completing their undergraduate and/or graduate degree(s) outside of the United States or Canada are encouraged to submit a transcript evaluation from World Education Services, Educational Credential Evaluators, or similar (transcripts from the People's Republic of China should be verified by China Credentials Verification). All verification reports and any academic records should be issued in the English language. Applicants are responsible for any fees associated with these evaluations. Those who are admitted and accept our offer of admission and decide to matriculate at the Jackson School of Global Affairs will be required to have their international credential evaluations sent directly to Jackson to fulfill the official transcript requirement for enrollment. Admitted students will receive those instructions at a later date. Official transcripts and credential evaluations should not be sent to Jackson during the application process; unofficial copies must be uploaded with your application.
Where should I send my official transcript?
You should only send an official transcript if you have accepted an offer of admission.
What kind of transcript do I need to submit with my application?
When you complete an application for admission, you must upload a transcript or academic record for all colleges/universities you have attended. This may be an informal transcript that you download from your school’s information system, or it may be a transcript issued to you personally from your college/university registrar. All transcripts you upload to your application must include: your name, the institution name, course names and grade information, and any academic comments that would be a part of an official transcript. If you upload a PDF of an electronic transcript, please make sure no additional authentication is needed, as transcripts requiring authentication will not upload successfully. Do not submit an official transcript to us by mail. Mailed transcripts are unnecessary during the application process and will be discarded. Official transcripts will only be required for admitted students, and they will receive specific instructions about this after they have accepted an offer to enroll. Please note, if your transcript includes sensitive identifying information, such as your Social Security Number, you may redact this before scanning and uploading the transcript to your application.