Frequently Asked Questions

Application Process
I am currently an undergraduate student, may I still apply?
Current undergraduate students are permitted to apply to Jackson, but unless you are applying as part of a globally-focused fellowship or similar program, we strongly recommend having 1-2 years of postgraduate work experience before applying.
I have been preparing to apply for the M.A. in Global Affairs at Jackson, but can’t find reference to that degree option on the Jackson website anymore. What happened to it?

As Jackson prepares to launch as a professional school in Fall 2022, the Yale Corporation has approved the Master in Public Policy (M.P.P.) degree to be awarded by the Jackson School of Global Affairs starting in 2023. This means all students applying for Fall 2022 enrollment will be applying for the Master in Public Policy in Global Affairs.

There is no option to apply for the M.P.P. degree in the application. What should I choose?

During the 2021-2022 academic year the Jackson Institute is still part of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences; therefore Jackson is still using the GSAS application form. Please select the M.A. in Global Affairs option on the application form. Students admitted to the M.A. program in March 2022 will be switched to the M.P.P. upon enrollment in the fall of 2022 when Jackson officially becomes a school and is able to award its own degrees.

Does Jackson Admissions offer webinars?
The Institute hosts online chats for prospective students during the fall admissions season and over the summer. The webinars provide an overview of the admissions process and a Q&A session with admissions staff. Visit our admissions events page for a list of upcoming sessions. You can also view past webinars on our archive page.
When is the deadline for submitting applications?
We are unable to accept applications received after the deadline of 11:59pm Eastern Time on 2 January. It is strongly advised to submit applications well before the deadline in order to avoid the possibility of technical issues in accessing your application. If you are experiencing such difficulties, please send an email to
How can I apply for an application fee waiver, if I meet the eligibility requirements?

To encourage early applications, the Jackson Institute for Global Affairs will waive the application fee for all MPP and MAS program applications received by December 1. A form is not required to receive the waiver. No preference will be given to early applications.

Applicants may still apply until our deadline of January 2, but the fee will not be waived automatically for applications submitted after 11:59 pm EST on December 1. After that point students can request a fee waiver directly from the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences

Where can I find further information on how to prepare and submit my application?
When preparing the application, all applicants should review the Frequently Asked Questions section of the Yale Graduate School of Arts and Sciences as well as the GSAS Admissions pages. The FAQs found on the Jackson Institute website are meant to complement any existing information on those pages.
Application Requirements
Will the Jackson admissions committee take into account academic disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic?

Recognizing the challenges to teaching and learning during the COVID-19 pandemic, the Provost and Deans of Yale University adopted the following principle: 

Yale’s admissions offices for graduate and professional schools evaluate applicants holistically and will take the significant disruptions of COVID-19 into account when reviewing students’ transcripts. In particular, we will respect decisions regarding the adoption of Credit/Fail and other grading options during this unprecedented period, whether they are made by institutions or by individual students.

Do you recommend submitting more than three letters of recommendation?
You should submit more than three letters of recommendation only if you strongly feel that additional recommendations would add significantly to your application.
How do I demonstrate that I am already proficient in a foreign language?
For native English speakers, we require you to leave Yale University with the equivalent of foreign language proficiency at the L4 level - essentially the intermediate level, ready for the advanced level. To fulfill this requirement, there are three options. You would: 1) need to show a 3rd year language course on your college transcript; 2) complete a full second year language course (L4) at Yale; or 3) take a language proficiency exam at Yale and place into L5 (advanced level). Note that you can choose to earn up to four credits (or two years) of language towards your Jackson degree if you would like to continue your language study. If you are a joint-degree candidate, you can earn up to two credits toward the Jackson degree requirements.
I haven’t taken any Economics classes. May I still apply?

Applicants do not need to have taken Economics in order to apply and be eligible for admission. The core Economics course does require basic knowledge in economics and calculus. A diagnostic exam before the first year will determine if students need to take a prerequisite foundational economics course in the fall of the first year to prepare themselves for this course.

Do I have to speak a second language to apply?
Applicants do not need to be proficient in a second language in order to apply and be eligible for admission. However, we require all admitted students to reach a level of foreign language proficiency as part of the graduation requirement.
Jackson Curriculum
How long does it take to complete a joint degree?
The joint degree would mean doing one semester less for each degree program you have applied for. This effectively reduces the total program of study by a year.
How do I do a joint degree?

As a joint degree candidate, a student can earn two degrees in two semesters fewer than if the degrees were pursued separately. With the exception of the M.P.P./J.D. program, this is three years.

Candidates must apply, and be admitted to, each school separately. Candidates can apply simultaneously at the outset or to the second program once they have matriculated in one of the programs at Yale.

Candidates are expected to spend the first year in Global Affairs and one semester of the second year in the partner program. During the final year, students register with each program for one semester, although they may take courses from both programs either term.

Am I limited to taking Jackson courses for the remainder of the program?
No. One of the unique features of Jackson’s program is your ability to choose from courses at any school or department from across the University. The full course catalog is available here. Jackson students also get preference for courses offered at Jackson.
Are core courses required as part of the M.P.P. program?

Jackson’s M.P.P. requires only four core courses:

  • GLBL 802 - Applied Methods of Analysis (Fall, first year)
  • GLBL 805 - Comparative Politics for Global Affairs (Fall of first or second year)
  • GLBL 803 - History and Global Affairs (Spring, first year)
  • GLBL 804 - Economics for Global Affairs (Spring, first year) Requires basic knowledge in economics and calculus. A diagnostic exam before the first year will determine if students need to take a prerequisite foundational economics course in the fall of the first year to prepare themselves for this course.
Students are able to choose classes from across the university for the remaining terms. Please refer to the current course catalogue for further information.
Scholarships and Funding
Are there opportunities to earn money during the academic year?
Yes. Many Jackson students take advantage of the opportunity to become a Research Assistant or Teaching Assistant at Jackson or in other departments across the University. More details here
How do I apply for the fellowships listed on the Jackson website?
Simply check the box on the application indicating that you would like to be considered for financial assistance. You will automatically be considered for any source of funding for which you are eligible.
Does Jackson offer funding?
Yes. Jackson offers generous funding on a merit basis to M.P.P. students. Awards typically range from half tuition to full tuition plus a stipend. The details of funding awards are provided at the time of admission. (Read more here) M.A.S. students are not eligible for funding from Jackson.
Testing Requirements
If I have a Master’s degree that was conducted in English, would that exempt me from the TOEFL/IELTS requirement?
No. For non-native English speakers, in order to be exempt from submitting TOEFL or IELTS test scores, applicants must have received a baccalaureate degree or its foreign equivalent, prior to matriculation at Yale, from a university or college where English is the primary language of instruction. Applicants must have studied in residence at the baccalaureate institution for at least three (3) years to receive the waiver.
If I am applying to a joint degree, do I still need to submit GRE scores?
Yes. Joint degrees are considered separate applications with separate application requirements.
Can I take the GRE and submit official test scores after the deadline?
Scores may be unofficially reported in your application but must still be officially sent to the Graduate Admissions office. Official scores may be sent to Graduate Admissions after the deadline but should be sent as soon as possible in order to ensure that your application can be reviewed by the Admissions Committee.
Can I submit more than one GRE score? Will the admissions committee consider only the highest score in that case?
You may submit multiple GRE scores if they are available. The Admissions Committee will consider the highest score(s) in reviewing your application.
Can the GRE requirement be waived?
Can I submit GMAT or LSAT scores in lieu of the GRE?
No, there is no substitution for the GRE.
Visiting Jackson and Speaking with Admissions
I’d like to connect with Admissions. What options are available?
The Jackson Admissions Office conducts recruiting events in major cities and also hosts webinars and Visit Days in the fall. Please visit our Events page for a list of upcoming recruitment events and links to register. Students are also welcome to visit Jackson on their own, but please be advised that availability of Admissions Office staff may be limited.
I have additional questions. What’s the best way to get in touch?
If you have additional questions, please send all inquiries to Alternatively, you may fill out our web-based contact form.