Admissions to the M.A.S. Program
The Master of Advanced Study (M.A.S.) at Jackson is a one-year program for professionals with extensive experience who are looking to further their understanding and application of multi-dimensional global affairs issues.
Small by design, only a few students are admitted to this program each year. M.A.S. applicants should have a minimum of seven years of global affairs related work experience showing superior professional qualifications and the ability to thrive in a rigorous academic program.
An application packet consists of a personal statement, three letters of recommendation, resume and transcripts from all prior institutions attended. GRE scores are optional for M.A.S. applicants. Students whose native language is not English will have to take the TOEFL, IELTS, or Cambridge English examination.
Students in the mid-career program are not eligible for financial aid from Jackson. Most of our M.A.S. students are externally funded.
View bios of our current graduate students.
Each year, the online application is available from mid-August through January 2.
Dates and Deadlines
Summer-Fall 2022: Applicants should schedule any necessary standardized tests no later than November, in order to allow time for official scores to reach us before the application deadline.
December 1, 2022: Application deadline to receive an automatic fee waiver.
January 2, 2023: Final application deadline.
Mid-March 2023: Admissions decisions are released.
May 1, 2023: Reply deadline for offers of admission for fall 2023 enrollment.
Required Application Materials
All applicants to the M.A.S. in Global Affairs must present the following:
- A Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) completed prior to matriculation at Yale.
- A two- to four-page statement of purpose.
- A one- to two-page resume.
- Unofficial transcripts for each prior college or university attended (including non-degree programs not listed on your degree-granting transcripts, e.g. Study Abroad).
- Applicants whose native language is not English will have to take the TOEFL, IELTS, or Cambridge English examination. See Standardized Testing Requirements for additional details and exceptions.
- Three letters of recommendation (at least one professional and one academic preferred with the third being your choice).
- The completed application form.
Students whose native language is not English and who did not earn their undergraduate degree at a university where English is the language of instruction must also take the TOEFL, IELTS, or Cambridge English exam. The minimum score required for the TOEFL is 102 on the internet-based exam (iBT). A score of 7.5 – 8 on the IELTS is roughly the equivalent to the required minimum. Cambridge English C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency scores fulfill the minimum.
See Standardized Testing Requirements and our FAQs for additional information.
To encourage early applications, Jackson will waive the application fee for all M.P.P. and M.A.S. applications received by December 1. A form is not required to receive the waiver.
For details about application fees, forms of payment, and fee waivers, please see Application Fees and Fee Waivers.
For more information, please contact the Admissions Office.