Frequently Asked Questions

Admitted Students
What if I want to keep my faculty adviser who teaches in Global Affairs?
Yes, you can keep your adviser.
Does the Assistant Dean for Undergraduate Education have to sign my schedule?
No. However, students pursuing a double major or combination of a major and a MAP, or similar, are encouraged to meet with Professor Bonnie Weir, assistant dean for undergraduate education, to discuss their plan of study.
If I have tested out of one or both introductory economics courses, is the course requirement waived? Which courses should be taken in place of those requirements?
Students who have tested out of Intro to Microeconomics and/or Intro to Macroeconomics must take a substitute course that lists the course they've tested out of as a prerequisite.
Can classes from my study abroad program count towards the major?
Yes, but only with approval from the DUS upon your return from study abroad. Students must submit the syllabus and their coursework to the DUS. Provisional approval may occur before the program takes place. Final approval for any study abroad course can only take place after the completion of the study abroad program.
What should I do in the summer before my Senior year?
Global Affairs majors are encouraged to complete an internship in a field of global affairs in the summer between their junior and senior year. The Jackson School Career Development Office assists Global Affairs majors in finding suitable internships and projects. The Jackson School also has some funding available for these internships and/or projects.
Do courses I completed prior to being admitted to the major count as track electives?
Does being a Global Affairs major guarantee me a spot in any/all courses taught by Jackson Senior Fellows?
Not necessarily, but Global Affairs majors and Jackson School M.P.P. students do have some priority in any course that is primarily a Jackson course. Although majors may not be able to take all classes taught by Senior Fellows, this policy means they should be able to take at least one and likely more while at Yale.
Can classes taken toward another major count towards Global Affairs?
Per Yale College policy and for any student completing a double major, no more than two classes may be applied to the requirements of a double majors.
When will I know what classes count towards the major when I am selecting my courses?
The list of accepted courses from other department codes will be listed on Yale Course Search using the "Any Course Information Attribute" filter. There you can search by Elective, Additional Methods courses and GLBL 121 Alternatives by the term that you are looking for.
Does Latin count as a language for the Global Affairs proficiency requirement?
No. The Global Affairs language requirement can only be fulfilled with a modern language.
Can my class in _____ count as the core course in development or international security?
No. All Global Affairs majors must take GLBL 225 and GLBL 275.
Can my class in _____ count as an elective?
Students can use the Yale Course Search "Any Information Attribute" and filter by YC GLBL: Elective to determine which courses count towards electives in a given term.
How many courses can be taken credit/d/fail toward the major’s requirements?
None of the 12 courses required for the major can be taken credit/d/fail. An L5 course used to demonstrate the language proficiency can be taken credit/d/fail. A "credit" in the L5 course will meet the proficiency requirement.
Who do I contact if I have a question about my internship, my resume, my summer plans, or my career plans?
Start with UCS, who have a large resource center, oversee ERecruiting (the online opportunities system), and offer resume advising. After you have visited their office please contact Elizabeth Gill, who is an excellent resource in Jackson's Career Development Office and can provide you with global affairs-specific information.
Who do I contact if I have a question about my courses, the major or degree audit?
Jackson's Office of Academic Services & Registrar,, is the best first contact for these sorts of questions.
Prospective Students
I am a high school student applying to Yale and I am interested in the Global Affairs major at Jackson. Who can I talk to?
Interested majors must first apply to and get admitted to Yale College, so you should reach out to the Yale College Admissions Office with questions. Current Yale undergraduate students apply for the major during their sophomore year. You can find information about the Global Affairs major on our website and our FAQs.
What is a capstone course?
During the senior year, Global Affairs majors are required to complete a capstone course – a semester-long public policy project on behalf of a real client. The clients for these capstone courses will be government agencies, not-for-profits, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), and private sector entities in the United States and abroad. Each course will consist of up to 10 students and will be overseen by a Yale faculty member. Students will be presented with their project prior to the start of the semester. Working together as a group, and with their faculty instructor, the students will complete the project over the course of the semester.
Can courses required for Global Affairs also count for my Yale distributional requirements?
Yes. If the course record indicates that a course fulfills a distributional requirement (Hu, Sc, So, QR, WR), it will count toward your Distributional Requirements, regardless of where it fits in the major.
When are the Core courses scheduled?
Approaches to International Development (GLBL 225) is offered in the spring and Approaches to International Security (GLBL 275) is in the fall, for example. This is to give Global Affairs majors the option to complete GLBL 121 just prior to taking GLBL 225.
Does Gateway to Global Affairs (GLBL 101/ INTS 101) count toward the major?
Yes, Gateway to Global Affairs may count as an elective. It is optional, and is not considered in admissions.
If I am very interested in applying to the Global Affairs major, which classes would be best to take during my Freshman and Sophomore years so that I can best take advantage of the major if I am admitted?
In addition to working toward Yale College Distributional Requirements, it is highly recommended that prospective Global Affairs majors take Intro to Microeconomics and Intro to Macroeconomics in their freshman and sophomore years. It is our strong recommendation is that majors and prospective majors take GLBL 121 as the quantitative methods requirement, prior to taking the Development Core course, though this is not required before admission to the major. It is also beneficial to work toward the L5 language requirement. Prospective majors may also take a research design course before the junior year. Finally, if you are considering a term abroad, we recommend Spring of sophomore year as it reduces scheduling conflicts with the Core and Capstone requirements for Global Affairs majors in the junior and senior year. GLBL 225 and GLBL 275 are open to all students in their sophomore year and beyond, on a space available basis.
Do you have a waitlist for admission?
We are evaluating the effectiveness of this admission model and may or may not use it for future classes.
Can I write a senior thesis in place of or in addition to the capstone requirement?
It is not possible to substitute a senior essay or thesis for the capstone taskforce requirement. If you wish to write a thesis in addition to the capstone requirement, you may sign up for an independent study course with the approval of the DUS. Proposals for independent study courses require permission from the independent study advisor/instructor and a detailed plan for the semester's work.
Can a non-English native language fulfill the language requirement? If so, what documentation is required?
Yes. Documentation must be provided that shows that the language of instruction in high school was not English. This is the same documentation that is usually required by Yale College. If the non-English native language was not the language of high school instruction, students must receive approval of L5 equivalence from the appropriate language department.
What Summer or Term Abroad courses can count toward the major?
We recommend choosing courses during your Term Abroad in light of your interests as a track elective or in fulfillment of Yale College Distributional Requirements. Economics courses taken abroad may count toward the major only if Yale's Economics Department reviews them as comparable to Yale's offerings, which is rare. Courses are approved only with the express written permission of the DUS. Under no circumstances can another course substitute for the core courses or senior capstone.
Is there an “intensive major” option?
What do you look for in a Global Affairs application?
Applicants will be assessed by a combination of preparedness (in terms of having taken recommended courses required for the major, such as Introduction to Microeconomics and Introduction to Macroeconomics, Quantitative Analysis I or an acceptable substitute, and the language requirement) and academic performance. Overall, we look for applicants with a strong foundation in analytical skills and frameworks, a clear roadmap to the successful completion of the major, a demonstrated record of academic excellence, and an exceptional interest in addressing the complex challenges that we face as concerned global citizens.
How many students are admitted to the major each year?
Historically, we have accepted anywhere from 50-90 students. However, it would be best to attend the information sessions (usually listed here) to get the most accurate number in the year in which you are applying.
When can I apply for the major?
Each fall, the call for applications is posted on the Jackson School website, circulated through dean's offices of the Residential College, and noted on the Sophomore website.