Frequently Asked Questions

Admitted Students
What if I want to keep my faculty adviser who teaches in Global Affairs?
You can keep your adviser, but the DUS still needs to sign your schedule.
Does the DUS have to sign my schedule?
Yes. Submit your schedule to the Jackson Institute registrar, who will contact you once the DUS has signed it.
If I have tested out of one or both introductory economics courses, is the course requirement waived? Which courses should be taken in place of those requirements?
Students who have tested out of Intro to Microeconomics and/or Intro to Macroeconomics must take a substitute course that lists the course they've tested out of as a prerequisite.
Can classes from my study abroad program count towards the major?
Yes, but only with approval from the DUS upon your return from study abroad. Students must submit the syllabus and their coursework to the DUS. Provisional approval may occur before the program takes place. Final approval for any study abroad course can only take place after the completion of the study abroad program.
What should I do in the summer before my Senior year?
Global Affairs majors are encouraged to complete an internship in a field of global affairs in the summer between their junior and senior year. Jackson Institute Career Services assists Global Affairs majors in finding suitable internships and projects. The Jackson Institute also has some funding available for these internships and/or projects.
Do courses I completed prior to being admitted to the major count as track electives?
Does being a Global Affairs major guarantee me a spot in any/all courses taught by Jackson Institute Senior Fellows?
Not necessarily, but Global Affairs majors and Jackson Institute M.A. students do have some priority in any course that is primarily a Jackson course. Although majors may not be able to take all classes taught by Senior Fellows, this policy means they should be able to take at least one and likely more while at Yale.
Can classes taken toward another major count towards Global Affairs?
Per Yale College policy and for any student completing a double major, no more than two classes may be applied to the requirements of a double majors.
When will I know what classes count towards the major when I am selecting my courses?
Beginning in Fall 2011 and for all subsequent semesters, a list of courses that can count towards the Global Affairs major will be posted on our website. This list will be posted just before or during shopping period. Lists from previous semesters can be used as guidelines, but are not guaranteed as applicable to a current or future semester.
Does Latin count as a language for the Global Affairs proficiency requirement?
No. The Global Affairs language requirement can only be fulfilled with a modern language.
Can my class in _____ count as the core course in development or international security?
No. All Global Affairs majors must take GLBL 225 and GLBL 275.
Can my class in _____ count as an elective?
At the beginning of each semester, all Global Affairs majors will receive a list of upcoming courses that are officially approved for the Global Affairs major. In general, if you think a class may count, check the posted lists and check with the Jackson Registrar. If the Registrar has no record of the approval, you will need to submit the course syllabus for review by the DUS.
How many courses can be taken credit/d/fail toward the major’s requirements?
None of the 12 courses required for the major can be taken credit/d/fail. An L5 course used to demonstrate the language proficiency can be taken credit/d/fail. A "credit" in the L5 course will meet the proficiency requirement. Exceptions can be made for members of the Class of 2013 and 2014 who took required courses credit/d/fail prior to Fall 2011. This exception is applied to no more than two credit/d/fail courses, taken prior to Fall 2011 only.
Who do I contact if I have a question about my internship, my resume, my summer plans, or my career plans?
Start with UCS, who have a large resource center, oversee ERecruiting (the online opportunities system), and offer resume advising. After you have visited their office please contact Elizabeth Gill, who is an excellent resource in Jackson's Career Services and can provide you with global affairs-specific information.
Who do I contact if I have a question about my courses, the major, or how my plans to study abroad fit with the major?
Jackson's Director of Student Affairs is the best first contact for these sorts of questions.
Prospective Students
What is a capstone course?
During the senior year, Global Affairs majors are required to complete a capstone course – a semester-long public policy project on behalf of a real client. The clients for these capstone courses will be government agencies, not-for-profits, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), and private sector entities in the United States and abroad. Each course will consist of up to 10 students and will be overseen by a Yale faculty member. Students will be presented with their project prior to the start of the semester. Working together as a group, and with their faculty instructor, the students will complete the project over the course of the semester.
Can courses required for Global Affairs also count for my Yale distributional requirements?
Yes. If the course record indicates that a course fulfills a distributional requirement (Hu, Sc, So, QR, WR), it will count toward your Distributional Requirements, regardless of where it fits in the major.
When are the Core courses scheduled?
Approaches to International Development (GLBL 225) is offered in the spring and Approaches to International Security (GLBL 275) is in the fall, for example. This is to give Global Affairs majors the option to complete GLBL 121 just prior to taking GLBL 225.
Does Gateway to Global Affairs (GLBL 101/ INTS 101) count toward the major?
Yes, Gateway to Global Affairs may count as an elective. It is optional, and is not considered in admissions.
If I am very interested in applying to the Global Affairs major, which classes would be best to take during my Freshman and Sophomore years so that I can best take advantage of the major if I am admitted?
In addition to working toward Yale College Distributional Requirements, it is highly recommended that prospective Global Affairs majors take Intro to Microeconomics and Intro to Macroeconomics in their freshman and sophomore years. It is our strong recommendation is that majors and prospective majors take GLBL 121 as the quantitative methods requirement, prior to taking the Development Core course, though this is not required before admission to the major. It is also beneficial to work toward the L5 language requirement. Prospective majors may also take a research design course before the junior year. Finally, if you are considering a term abroad, we recommend Spring of sophomore year as it reduces scheduling conflicts with the Core and Capstone requirements for Global Affairs majors in the junior and senior year. GLBL 225 and GLBL 275 are open to all students in their sophomore year and beyond, on a space available basis.
Do you have a waitlist for admission?
We are evaluating the effectiveness of this admission model and may or may not use it for future classes.
Can I write a senior thesis in place of or in addition to the capstone requirement?
It is not possible to substitute a senior essay or thesis for the capstone taskforce requirement. If you wish to write a thesis in addition to the capstone requirement, you may sign up for an independent study course with the approval of the DUS. Proposals for independent study courses require permission from the independent study advisor/instructor and a detailed plan for the semester's work.
Can a non-English native language fulfill the language requirement? If so, what documentation is required?
Yes. Documentation must be provided that shows that the language of instruction in high school was not English. This is the same documentation that is usually required by Yale College. If the non-English native language was not the language of high school instruction, students must receive approval of L5 equivalence from the appropriate language department.
What Summer or Term Abroad courses can count toward the major?
We recommend choosing courses during your Term Abroad in light of your interests as a track elective or in fulfillment of Yale College Distributional Requirements. Economics courses taken abroad may count toward the major only if Yale's Economics Department reviews them as comparable to Yale's offerings, which is rare. Courses are approved only with the express written permission of the DUS. Under no circumstances can another course substitute for the core courses or senior capstone.
Is there an “intensive major” option?
What do you look for in a Global Affairs application?
The admissions committee will look for success in social science (including international history) courses and a willingness to take intellectual risks. Evidence that a student will have completed introductory microeconomics and introductory macroeconomics before beginning the Global Affairs major may also be considered in admissions decisions.
How many students are admitted to the major each year?
Our goal is 50 enrolled majors per class.
When can I apply for the major?
Each fall, the call for applications is posted on the Jackson Institute website, circulated through the Residential College Deans Offices, and noted on the Sophomore website. Completed applications due the Friday before November Recess. This year the deadline is November 17, 2017. Admission decisions are made before the start of the spring semester.
What courses are required for the M.A. program?
  • GLBL 801, Econ: Principles and Applications
  • GLBL 802, Applied Methods of Analysis
  • GLBL 803, History of the Present
Is Jackson a member of the APSIA professional organization?
What undergrad degree do most of your admitted students have?
Many of our students received their undergraduate degrees in history, the social sciences (especially political science and economics), or interdisciplinary programs such as international relations. However, we are seeking a diverse student community united in its commitment to leave Yale ready to engage in global affairs issues for the betterment of society. We, therefore, encourage applicants with humanities, science, business, engineering, or other degrees to apply.
What type of work experience do successful applicants have?
Successful applicants have worked across the public, nonprofit and private sectors, generally with some international focus. We are seeking a diverse cohort and therefore welcome candidates with many different experiences, united in their commitment to leave Yale ready to engage in global affairs issues for the betterment of society.
Will applying straight out of college hurt my chances of admission?
Most of our successful applicants have relevant full-time work experience after they graduate from college. We occasionally accept exceptional students who are just completing their undergraduate degrees. These individuals have demonstrated through study abroad, volunteer, and/or internship experience their leadership potential, commitment to public service, and international engagement. We encourage applicants to have some relevant post-graduate professional experience as it will better inform how you wish to form your M.A. concentration in the program and better prepare you to take advantage of the many resources Yale has to offer.
I’m applying to the joint degree with SOM (or Law)? They require that I submit the GMAT (or LSAT). Do I still have to take the GRE?
Yes. The Graduate School requires that all applicants take the GRE.
Is a writing sample required as part of the application?
No, a writing sample is neither required nor requested.
Is distance or Internet-learning an option?
No. Our M.A. in Global Affairs is a two-year, full-time residential program.
What is the minimum GRE?
There is no minimum for the GRE. We see the test as one piece of a candidate's overall profile.
I haven’t taken any economics. May I still apply?
Yes. We stongly encourage all students complete an introductory microeconomics and an introductory macroeconomics course before they enter the program. If you are admitted but have not completed these courses, we will request that you do so before fall classes begin. If you took a one semester course that included both micro and macro, we generally recommend that you take a second economics course before entering the program.
What type of jobs do students get when they graduate?
Reflecting their diverse interests, M.A. graduates go in many directions upon graduation. Public service remains a popular choice, with students (both U.S. and international) entering agencies involved with international development, foreign policy, trade, and security and defense. The private sector - primarily financial services firms and consulting companies - draws those graduates with strong quantitative skills. Many graduates also pursue careers in the nonprofit sector.
Do M.A. students work on campus?
Yes, many students find employment on campus either as research assistants, teaching fellows, or in offices throughout the university. Students take the initiative in securing these positions once they arrive on campus.
What percentage of your students are international?
Typically between 45-50% of our graduate students are not U.S. citizens. This number does not reflect the full diversity of the program. Some of the U.S. citizens are first or second generation immigrants. Many have lived in more than one country.
What is the possibility of receiving a scholarship?
Fellowships are awarded on the basis of merit to incoming master's students. Although a financial statement is required as part of the M.A. application, you do not need to make a separate fellowship application. Simply mark that you are interested in Yale-based funding. Over 50% of incoming students receive some form of fellowship from Yale. Beyond that, the Graduate School Financial Aid Office administers student loan programs for both U.S. citizens and international students. We do encourage students to seek outside funding, since fellowship support is limited for M.A. students.
What is your admission rate?
We receive approximately 400 applications and enroll approximately 1 in 15 applicants.
When are admission decisions announced?
Programs within Yale Graduate School of Arts and Sciences communicate admission decisions in February and March each year. The Jackson Institute announces decisions toward the end of that range, usually the first or second week of March.
Do I have to speak a second language to apply?
No, the requirement is that you must be proficient in a language in order to graduate with the M.A. in Global Affairs. While many of our students have met the language proficiency requirement at the time of admission, you may take up to four language courses at Yale as part of your degree program (joint degree students may only take two). To demonstrate proficiency you may complete second year (L4) language courses at Yale, demonstrate completion of third year language courses on the transcripts submitted with your application, or place into a Yale L5 course.
Are there core courses for the M.A.S. program?
There are no required courses for the M.A.S. Students work closely with the Director of Graduate Studies (DGS) at Jackson to determine what courses best suit their interests, and will form an individualized concentration.
Is distance or Internet-learning an option?
No, Jackson does not offer any part of its program online. The M.A.S. is a one-year, full-time residential program.
Can a certain number of years of professional experience substitute for the GRE?
No, the GSAS does not allow for any substitutions for the GRE. For the mid-career M.A.S. program, however, Jackson places little or no emphasis on the GRE scores.
Does Jackson require the GRE for the M.A.S. program?
Yes. Jackson belongs to the Graduate School of Arts and Science. The GSAS requires all incoming Master’s students to take the GRE.
What is the possibility of receiving a scholarship?
M.A.S. candidates are not eligible for Jackson Fellowships. The Graduate School Financial Aid Office administers student loan programs for both U.S. citizens and international students.
When are admission decisions announced?
Programs within Yale Graduate School of Arts and Sciences communicate admission decisions in February and March each year. The Jackson Institute announces decisions toward the end of that range, usually the first or second week of March.
Do I have to speak a second language to apply?
No, the M.A.S. does not have a foreign language proficiency requirement.